Communications, Interpersonal and Intrapersonal
(1/2-day, 4 PDUs)
This program relates to the PMBOK (Guide to the Project Management Book of Knowledge) processes of Project Communications Management, specifically:
- 10.2.2.3 Plan Communications: Tools and Techniques / Communication Models, and
- 10.4.2.2 Manage Stakeholder Expectations: Tools and Techniques / Interpersonal Skills
The PMBOK refers to blocks in communications as “Anything that interferes with the transmission and understanding of the message (e.g., distance, unfamiliar technology, lack of background information)”.
Two myths that this program seeks to counter are the assumptions that:
- ‘Blocks’ to effective communications are strictly outside us, and,
- Since we are paid for what we do from the neck up, our bodies must be merely transport mechanisms which have no effect on our work life.
Through ground rules of accountability and transparency plus meditation and breath awareness techniques, we bring into awareness our subconscious attitudes and assumptions (our hidden agendas). This program gives practical tips for getting the message across that we want to get across, with greater effectiveness on those tough emotional issues.
Upon completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- State how unconscious assumptions can cause biases in communications and block communications
- State examples of how physical changes in the body can affect mental performance
- State examples of how the mind and attitudes can affect physical performance
- Demonstrate stretches that release physical and emotional tension and can be done at the office
- Demonstrate diaphragmatic breathing to release tension and increase clarity
- Demonstrate ground rules for transparency and effectiveness in tough conversations
- Demonstrate how meditation and breath awareness can increase awareness of unconscious thoughts while improving heart rate variability.
- A model for communications using your body and mind
- Practice of office stretches, and supporting resources
- Diaphragmatic breathing and biofeedback
- Interpersonal skills and ground rules for effective communications
- Continued practice of interpersonal communication skills
- Practice with short meditations and intrapersonal communications
Who Should Attend:
- Anyone who has a need for more effective communications with their stakeholders and anyone who wants to decrease their stress levels using proven methods.
- Project and Program Managers – Senior, Associate, In-Training
- Project Coordinators
- Project Sponsors and Executives
- Senior and Associate Business Analysts
Instructor(s) Who Lead and Facilitate this Course: